It is always a good time to focus in on taking good care of our immune system. Especially now, that the weather starts getting colder, “normal” cold and flue season is coming – plus COVID is around – immune system health is a top priority.
“The immune system is a network of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to protect the body from infection. The human body provides an ideal environment for many microbes, such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites, and the immune system prevents and limits their entry and growth to maintain optimal health.”
Sounds like a big job – doesn’t it?
It really is – and there are many ways that we can sabotage it from working optimally. Or – alternatively – we can chose to support our immune system to be set up for success with consistent holistic healthy lifestyle habits.
Here are a few simple strategies to support your immune system in tough times:
- eat all colors of the rainbow. Different colors of fruit and veggies contain different vitamins, minerals, antioxidants…. all supportive ingredients for immune health. Try to get as much in as possible. Tip: Smoothies and soups are an easy way to add to your daily intake.
- plenty of fluids. Your body needs fluids to get rid off stuff – if you don’t hydrate enough, you fail to support the body’s detox and cleansing processes. Drink up!
- eliminate sugar. Sugar impairs immune function, it is an anti-nutrient. Stay away from it as much as you can – especially now!
- try to stress less. Stress weakens the immune system. Try to reduce stress, take time for yourself, get plenty of sleep and keep workouts lighter and more restorative when your immune system seems overly taxed.
- take good care of your gut. The health of our gut is a large impact on the immune system. Take good care of your gut – less sugar and irritating foods, more fermented and protective foods. If you have a weakened gut from antibiotics, stress, bugs etc. – consider taking a good probiotic to support it. Read my gut health post to learn more.
- if you like to add supplement support, vitamin D is key for a good immune system and most of us are deficient. Adding vitamin C+ zinc is also a good thing as are others – more on that in a deeper and individual conversation.
- keep on moving. Movement and fresh air supports immune health. Stay active!
Take good care of yourself and stay healthy!